E. J. Pratt Library, Victoria College (includes the Centre for Reformation & Renaissance Studies Collection)
71 Queen’s Park Crescent East <http://library.vicu.utoronto.ca/index.htm>
Located on the Victoria University campus, the E.J. Pratt Library collection numbers approximately 250,000 items, including 4,000 pre-1700 volumes all of which are indexed through UTCat. Holdings cover the period 1350 to 1650 in European civilization; Large collections on Erasmus of Rotterdam and Humanism, the Reformation, history, religion, theology, language and literature. The library houses a special Erasmus collection and a collection devoted to study of confraternities. It has many bibliographic tools and more than 15,000 titles on microform, many of which are only listed in the Centre's indices. Special collections include works by and about E.J. Pratt, Northrop Frye, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Virginia Woolf / Bloomsbury, John Wesley, and many others.
Robertson Davies Library, Massey College
4 Devonshire Place < https://www.masseycollege.ca/library/>
Since its inception in 1963, the Library at Massey College has developed special collections in the History of the Book as well as supporting a working nineteenth-century hand printing shop. The holdings of books and manuscripts include material on the history of printing, papermaking, bookbinding, palaeography, calligraphy, type design, book collecting, and bibliography. The examples of book production range from the fifteenth century to the present, with a particular strength in nineteenth century colour printing and publishers' bookbindings represented in the Ruari McLean Collection. The collections also include the papers of Canadian graphic designer Carl Dair. In 1981, the Library was named for the Founding Master of the College, Robertson Davies, and contains editions and translations of his writings.
30 St. George <https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/library-info/ROBARTS >
This is the best research library in Canada and one of the top research libraries in North America. The primary focus of the collection is in the social sciences and humanities. It has an excellent online catalogue and many data bases, an efficient and helpful reference department, and extensive microfilm collections.
Dubbed "Fort Books," Robarts is the main humanities and social sciences library at the University of Toronto. Named after former Ontario Premier John Robarts, it opened in 1973. It is currently the largest book repository in Canada with 9.6 million items. Robarts is truly the heart of the University of Toronto library system, the fourth largest system in North America, after that of Harvard, Yale and the University of Illinois. The site of study areas and the research carrels, Robarts is the home away from home of many undergraduate and graduate students alike. The library web site listed below provides links to other libraries and services located in the Robarts Library building.
Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library
Robarts Library, 120 St. George < https://fisher.library.utoronto.ca/ >
Just across from the Robarts Library, The Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library houses the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections including books, manuscripts and other materials; and the University of Toronto Archives and Records Management, which holds the official records of the University. It is the largest repository of publicly accessible rare books and manuscripts in Canada. Among the collection's items are the Nuremburg Chronicle (1493), Shakespeare's First Folio (1623), Newton's Principia (1687) and Darwin's proof copy of On the Origin of Species (1859). Other collections housed here include Babylonian Cuneiform tablets of Ur (1789 BCE), 36 Egyptian papyrus manuscript fragments (245 BCE) and Catholicon (1460).
PIMS Library (Pontifical Institute Medieval Studies)
St. Michael’s College - 113 St. Joseph Street, 4th Floor <http://www.pims.ca>
The Institute Library is located on the fourth floor of the John M. Kelly Library of St. Michael's College. The Institute Library, which opened in 1929 with a mere 3,000 titles donated by St. Michael's College, today has holdings of about 120,000 volumes whose lustre is enhanced and complemented by specialized collections of 9,000 reels of microfilm and 50,000 slides. The Institute's Academic Council alone exercises control and authority over Library policies and use. Access to the Library is normally granted to professors and graduate students of the University of Toronto who work in areas allied to the Library's resources and, on a more restricted basis, to other members of the University of Toronto who need to consult unique copies or materials not otherwise available at the University of Toronto. Every reasonable opportunity to use the Library is also granted to Guests of the Institute and other visiting scholars.