Department of English

University of Toronto

FAQs and Forms



JHBUTSG Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where should I submit essays? 
The Jackman Humanities Building is currently closed to the public and the drop box is unavailable. Please follow your Professors' instructions for submitting all course work.
Generally, essays should be submitted in class, and on their due date. Any late essays may be submitted to the Drop Box in the Department of English only with the Professor's approval. The drop box is located on the 6th floor of the Jackman Humanities Building, across from the elevators. Work submitted to this box (on days that the University is open) by 5:00 PM will be date stamped that same day. If your Professor's office location is in another building, please clarify with your Professor where to drop off your work.

Be sure that you have included the following information on your work before submitting it into the drop box:
- Student Name;
- Student Number;
- Course Code and Section Code;
- Instructor's Name (and TA's name if also applicable)

Q: I selected an English Major in 2015, switched to a Minor, and then again to a Major in 2018.  Which program should I follow?
You would have to follow all of the NEW 2018 Major program requirements. Students are responsible for completing all of the requirements of their English program in the Faculty of Arts and Science Calendar from the year in which they enrolled. Please note that we changed our programs for 2010 and 2018; students who choose to select a new program on ACORN must complete all of the new requirements, even if they had previously selected an English program. You may use Degree Explorer to help you assess your program, but please note that you are ultimately responsible for understanding and fulfilling the requirements. Please visit our Undergraduate/Programs page for additional information, where our Course Groupings are also archived and updated.

Q: I am currently an English student at U of T and one of the ENG courses I would like to take is full. How can I register in this course?
The only way to register in a non-restricted ENG course is through the ACORN System, except for late enrollment for Y courses at the College Registrars. The Department of English cannot override the system. Because of the popularity of English studies, most of our courses reach their enrollment limits quickly. However, places may become available from time to time as students adjust their programs. Our best advice is that you register for available and appropriate courses in July, and only then consider placing yourself on the waiting list for your preferred choice(s).

: I am interested in taking ENG 388H/389H/390Y/391Y/392H/393H/499Y
. How do I register for these courses, which have an “E” indicator?
Please note the instructions for emailing and the deadline extensions, below.
Students cannot register for "E" courses on ACORN; students are enrolled at the Department upon acceptance. Admission is by permission of the instructor and the Associate Chair. Applications are due June 1, 2021, and these courses are not offered during the summer session. The prerequisites required are:

For ENG388H1/ENG389H1:

Please note that applications for ENG388HF must be emailed to the Office of the Associate Chair, c/o The Undergraduate Counsellor, Department of English, and copied to and not later than Tuesday, June 1, 2021.

Applications for ENG389HF must be emailed to the Office of the Associate Chair, c/o The Undergraduate Counsellor, Department of English, and copied to and not later than Tuesday, June 1, 2021.

Enrollment in ENG388H/ENG389H is limited, and the completed application and form must be accompanied by a portfolio of prose and/or poetry. Please consult the course descriptions available here for ENG388/ENG389 for particulars as to the type and quantity of writing samples that should be included.

For ENG 390Y1/391Y1/392H1/393H1:

Students must email a signed proposal form, available here, to the Office of the Associate Chair, c/o The Undergraduate Counsellor, Department of English, by not later than Tuesday, June 1, 2021.

For ENG499Y1:
Invitations to apply for this Advanced Research Seminar course will be sent in the first week of June. The deadline to respond and submit an application is Monday, July 12, 2021.

Q: I am an English student at the St. George campus and would like to take courses at another Canadian or American university for transfer credit. How do I obtain authorization?
For detailed information about Letters of Permission and transfer credit, please refer to the information on Transfer Credits and  Transfer Explorer, and students may seek advice from their College Registrar's office as to how transfer credits may apply to their degrees. We encourage students to fulfil their English program requirements with courses offered at St. George campus. Students may also take courses at UTM and UTSC upon receiving approval of the Undergraduate Counsellor in advance. St. George students may also take courses at UTM and UTSC. All ENG transfer credits, except ENG100H1 and its equivalents, will be accepted toward our programs, and each transfer would specify the program group it fits into, if any.

Q: I am an English student at the St. George campus and would like to study abroad for either one term, a year, or during the summer. What opportunities exist for students who would like to study elsewhere?
The Centre for International Experience (CIE) allows Arts and Science students to participate in Canadian and international exchanges while earning credits toward their U of T degree. The Department of English also offers a Minor program in Asian Literatures and Cultures, jointly with the University of Singapore. For information regarding eligibility, destinations, and application procedures, please contact the CIE at 416-978-2564 or visit the web page at: The International Summer School Programs administered by Woodsworth College give students the opportunity to take undergraduate degree credit courses for a period of one to two months. For further information visit or contact the Professional and International Programs office at 416-978-8713. If you are interested in taking a course outside of North America (but not through this summer abroad program), please email

Q: Where can I go for help with my essays and/or written assignments?
Each college at the University has its own writing centre with trained instructors who teach academic writing. In addition to free workshops and non-credit courses, writing centres offer individual consultation on planning, writing, and revising course assignments. The website Writing at the University of Toronto contains many useful advice files that answer common questions about academic writing, and includes the Writing Centre page with a link to the online system for making appointments. Students may email in order to ask about our Graduate Student Tutors and their hourly fees. English Professors will announce any special writing workshops offered by the Department in their classes. For other academic help,  please visit the Academic Success Centre. For English Language Learning: Reading eWriting and Communication Café, visit

Q: I am interested in going to graduate school.  Where can I find information about applying to graduate programs in English or related fields?
Students who wish to pursue their education beyond an undergraduate degree are urged to check the requirements of the School or Faculty which they plan to attend. Programs in fields allied to English Language & Literature studies include other Languages and Literatures, Cultural Studies, Gender Studies, Linguistics, Sociology, Anthropology, Philosophy, Journalism, Psychology, Drama, Cinema Studies, Political Science, etc. It is recommended that students planning to do graduate study in English enroll in the Specialist Program in English. Although no specific course is a requirement for graduate school, it should be stressed that graduate programs, including those at the University of Toronto, normally seek students who have a good knowledge of the major literary forms and periods of English literature from Chaucer to the Twentieth Century. Some knowledge of contemporary criticism and theory is also useful. Students seeking detailed information about graduate English Programs offered at the University of Toronto should contact the Department of English Graduate Office at Early each fall, the Department offers a "Going to Graduate School" seminar to provide information and advice to students planning to go on to graduate schools, and it is strongly recommended that potential Graduate Students attend this event.

Q: How can I seek advice from the Undergraduate Counsellor:

Please Note: The Department of English is currently working from home and available to assist virtually. Students, please email our Undergraduate Counsellor, Larysa Iarovenko at for academic advising. 

The Undergraduate Counsellor's office hours are normally 10 AM to noon and 2 to 4 PM,  Monday to Friday, in Room 609, 170 St. George Street. Please drop in or telephone Ms V. Holmes at 416-978-5026 for general counselling, or to assess the day's availability (as cancellations are left on the recorded phone message). For detailed program counselling, please review your program on Degree Explorer before visiting the office with your student card and any relevant, printed course syllabi or transcripts.

Top Of Page


Site Information:

Site Tools:

Click below for directions to the University of Toronto!

University of Toronto, St. George Campus
Map of St. George Campus
Map of Mississauga Campus
Map of Scarborough Campus

We wish to acknowledge this land on which the University of Toronto operates. For thousands of years it has been the traditional land of the Huron-Wendat, the Seneca, and the Mississaugas of the Credit. Today, this meeting place is still the home to many Indigenous people from across Turtle Island and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on this land.