Welcome to the U of T Department of English
| || |
Congratulations to Professor Tom Keymer on being elected as a Visiting Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, for Hilary (Winter) Term in 2018-19.
| || |
Congratulations to Professor Alan Bewell on being elected the 2017 Distinguished Scholar of the Keats/Shelley Association.
| || |
Congratulations to Professor Nick Mount on the publication of his new book Arrival: The Story of CanLit. We are delighted with the attention it is receiving in Canadian National Media.
| || |
Congratulations to Professor Cheryl Suzack on being elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada's College of New Scholars, and on being awarded the Fullbright award and the Margaret Storrs Grierson Fellowship.
News & Sessional Dates:
Read more news
Congratulations to Larry Switzky on being awarded UTM's E.A. Robinson Teaching Excellence Award for 2017.
- Thursday, November 30, 2017.
- "The Drama of the Ineffable: Charles Lamb, Edmund Kean, and Keatsian Hieroglyphics".
- Thursday, December 07, 2017.
- Telling Canada's Story: CanLit's Arrival, Rise, and Future.
- Thursday, January 11, 2018.
- Toronto Centre for the Book lecture series - What Was the Cost of Books in Chaucer’s Time?.
- Thursday, February 08, 2018.
- "The End of the Line for High Epic in the Era of Romanticism".
Read more events
English Professor Nick Mount captures Canada's literature boom in Arrival. Read more at Arts & Science News.
Get tips from English graduate & instructor Elissa Gurman in Maclean's on creating University class schedule that won't destroy your soul.
Read Dr. Mike Johnstone's first fiction publication "For you, endlessly" in the Compostela (Tesseracts Twenty)
- MA CRW Alumna Jesse Ruddock's debut novel Shot-Blue was reviewed by The New York Times.
- Doyali Islam, UofT graduate and Canadian poet, discusses the poetry of stillness on CBC's Sunday Edition with Michael Enright 0
- Congratulations to Professor Quayson, who is the co-winner of the Urban History Association’s top award in the international category for books published in 2013-2014.
- Dr. Deirdre Baker, Professor Nick Mount and Dr. Michael Johnstone are featured in The Varsity Magazine. Read more here!
- "The humanities, especially the literature of the Asian diaspora in North America, would have lost a major champion if Denise Cruz had followed her initial plan to attend medical school." Read more about Professor Cruz here.
- WINCS has just been featured in the latest edition of SURGE, U of T Mississauga's resource for research-related matters. Read the article featuring Professors Danny Wright and Terry F. Robinson here.
- Two fascinating stories in the Globe and Mail about distinguished Department members -- George Elliott Clarke on his role as Poet Laureate to the House of Commons and Randy Boyagoda on the challenges he faces in running a Catholic college in a secular university.
Read the Accolades page for news regarding our faculty.