ENG202H1S - L0101

Introduction to British Literature I


Monday 11am–1pm (with req’d tutorials Wednesday 11am–12pm or 12–1pm)

Instructor Information

M. Sergi

E-mail: sergi.utoronto@gmail.com

Course Description

ENG 202 is an introduction to early British literature, exploring works in poetry, prose, and drama, from the earliest English writing to the end of the seventeenth century. A course covering the literature of such a broad span of time—a full millennium (c. 670 through the 1660s)—must leave out many more important works than it includes; as a result, different versions of ENG 202, from one term to another, will include noticeably different approaches and arrays of readings. For full details, please visit the listed course website (below).

Required Readings

  • Cavendish, The Blazing World
  • Knight and Ohlgren, Robin Hood and Other Outlaw Tales
  • Katherine Mansfield, “Bliss”
  • Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales
  •  two translations of Beowulf (Heaney and Headley)
  • an array of short poems and plays we read together in class.

First Three Authors/Texts

  • Cavendish, The Blazing World
  • Donne, “A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning”
  • Milton, “Lycidas.”



Methods of Evaluation

In this version of ENG 202, students can choose from among three diffferent Tracks for evaluation (see https://premodernity.net/eng-202); the first 45% of your grade will be made up of essays, in-class presentations, or dramatic staged readings, depending on which track you choose. The remaining 55% is comprised of Engagement and Participation (in tutorial sessions), Actual Attendance (at all sessions), In-Class Comprehension Questions, and a short Final Test