Introduction to the Novel
Monday 2 pm - 3 pm, Wednesday 2 pm - 4 pm
Do graphic novels count as novels? How about non-realistic novels? What is a novel and what makes it important? This course offers an introduction to the novel with an emphasis on the thematic and formal capaciousness of the genre (that is, its rich variability of topics, shapes, and styles). Works will be from a range of historical and cultural traditions (and some times in translation).
- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
- Ian McEwan, Atonement
- Zadie Smith On Beauty
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons, Watchmen
(readings list subject to change).
First Three Authors/Texts
Methods of Evaluation
- Quizzes (20%)
- Informal reading responses (25%)
- Formal literary analysis essay (30%)
- Final exam (25%)